Ater Tumti - Spiritual retreat center & community
At this moment we can really use some people with construction, carpenter and renovating skills. We are restoring an 18th century Palmento (old wine makery). But don't be sad if you don't have those skills! We have so much more to do and we are looking for help all year round.
Hi beautiful people, welcome to our profile!
We are a small team living in this holistic retreat center & community. Most of the work consists of clearing the land, weeding and caring for plants and the vegetable garden, painting, maintenance, landscaping, cleaning, daily cooking for the team and if you have social media and booking system qualities, then they are also more then welcome!
This place was created by the lovely owners Filip & Trente, an American/Belgian couple, retired and young at heart. They realized their dreams by building this holistic retreat community center on the slopes of Etna volcano. For sure you will see and connect with them on daily base when you volunteer here.
The property is around 15 ha (150.000sqm/ 40+ acres) on terraced slopes with dry stone rock walls (without cement) 500m above sea level on the slopes of the Etna volcano facing the Ionian sea and the mainland Calabria. We are 1 km away from Presa, a small village with 80 inhabitants, and 3 km from Piedimonte Etneo, where you can find more things to do.
Please read this and skip if :
1. You are from South America and looking for a place to have residence waiting for your paperwork to come through. You are welcome, but we don't provide residency nor invitation letters.
2. You are hoping to learn Italian. Main conversation is in English.
3. You have physical problems. You need to be physically healthy, so if you have back problems or any other health issue what disables you from doing physical work, please skip.
4. You have heavy emotional problems. We are not qualified as your shrink, nor parents.
5. You don't have travel insurance.
6. You are looking for a cheap hotel.
7. You only have a week to come over. Minimum stay is three weeks.
Would you like to stay and volunteer in a community based environment where you help realizing a dream? Then this experience can be for you.
We welcome open-minded people with shared interests who enjoy working whether outdoors or in nature with a joyful passion without drama and ego.
Please only apply when you are physically in a healthy condition and willing to walk up and down the property. Also don't be afraid to do some bit heavier outdoor work :-)
Take off the mask, open up yourself, get in touch with nature, share your skills, roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty and (most of all) have fun!
We are looking forward meeting you!
We live with a small team on this property. We share meals, work and good conversations. We prefer to communicate very open and clear and we love to do an open hearted sharing circle almost every week. We personally evaluate every week with you and only continue when both of us are happy with each other's exchange and energy.
We mainly eat vegetarian, but don't mind the exception once in a while. We provide basic healthy food, mostly organic. We don't provide alcohol, meat, fish, sweets, soda's etc. So if you are in need of any of those, you have to provide for them yourselves.
We share daily lunch together and sometimes dinner. Sometimes we will take you on a trip to the Etna volcano, beach or Alcantara river. This depends on how long you stay with us and how everything flows.
You need to share an apartment with one shared bathroom with the other volunteers. There is a separated dorm for women and a private room available with a double bed for a couple.
Here is an example of the works that we do :
* In october/november you can help harvest olives and you will be able to experience the proces from 'olive on the tree' to 'extra pure virgin olive oil'.
* Helping pruning the olive trees or (taking away the branches and burn them) (nov-dec-jan-feb-mar).
* Helping building dry stone walls in the fields.
* Weeding the garden.
* Taking care and watering of the vegetable gardens and plants.
* Cleaning out the pool (areas) and preparing for spring/summer (april-may).
* Spraying the olive trees with bio products (feb march).
* Painting walls, doors and fences inside and outside.
* Cleaning up ashes from the volcano all over the property.
* Cooking lunch for the team.
* General cleaning tasks.
* General maintenance tasks.
* Chopping wood for the fireplaces.