1. Internship volunteering: minimum 1 month, it's included accommodation and two meals with a 50 USD daily fee (more information on the sections below). Research field trips included.
2. Free volunteering: minimum 6 months, it's included accommodation but the other conditions will be agreed between the Foundation and the volunteer.
3. Free volunteering with special arrangements: limited (short) time for people with special skills required by the organization and conditions will be agreed with FEMM Ecuador. Accommodation it's included.
4. Online volunteering: minimum 1 month with the conditions specified in the online volunteering section. It is not on-site. Personal internet services needed.
In FEMM Ecuador (Fundación Ecuatoriana para el estudio de Mamíferos Marinos), the volunteers will receive a training in different areas (research, ecotourism, conservation, environmental education). Their help will benefit the foundation projects for the study of the marine mammals and the protected areas where they live.
The job for the volunteers who only want to do office work is in social networks; fundraising for the projects; selling scientific and standard tours for whale and dolphin watching, souvenirs. Besides they will learn how does it work a nonprofit organization from inside. It will be possible that volunteers help on the field trips (completely optional) with a cost agreed between the volunteer and the foundation.
Furthermore, there is another position for the volunteers who want to do office work and field work. About the field work the volunteer will learn basic use of a professional camera for dolphins and whales photo-identification activities; geographical positioning; use of digital devices for taking temperature, salinity and PH; use of software for photo-id, graphic design, mapping, manager of social media, etc.
Volunteers will benefit a lot, because they will received training in different topics (research, ecotourism, conservation, environmental education), they will have chance to learn about Ecuadorian food and culture of Coastal region mainly and receive some Spanish classes too.
They will visit some protected areas and watch some nice landscapes and views including whale and dolphin watching activities related to research and ecotourism. They will have some tour guides opportunities to work and get in touch with tourists and besides attend to some workshops and seminars to meet with other specialist and to get experience in environmental and biodiversity work in Ecuador.
Volunteers will be in a homestay, 5km from the beach, very close to the protected areas where the field activities usually occurs, they will have the chance to go to the beach and get some social activities too.
The work office usually receives the visit of researchers, tour guides, volunteers, students, partners, that’s why volunteers have more chance and time to cultural Exchange, besides of social and cultural activities in free time.
1.- General requirements for internship/free/online/free with special arrangement
A.- Mandatory/ Essential
• A1. Ages between 18-45 years old, exceptionally outstanding seniors or teenagers with strong background and authorization letter signed by their parents. Each case will be analyzed on personal and conditional basis.
• A2. University student / professional in biology, environmental, Biodiversity, zoology, tourism, geography, administration, marketing, Data analysis (including related careers) or previous experience in volunteering with marine mammals or related topics.
• A3. Love specially for nature, Biodiversity, protected areas and environment and special love for Marine Mammals.
• A4. Capacity to work alone/team with long and flexible periods of time.
• A5. Capacity to follow orders
• A6. Excellent communicational skills.
• A7. Excellent personal attitude and tolerance to work and deal with different kind of people.
• A8. Capacity to work in field / office activities.
• A9. Adaptation to live in shared/ multicultural conditions.
• A10. Absolute respect and care for institutional administrative proceedings, internal rules, and all volunteers/members of FEMM.
• A11. Absolute respect and care for institutional accommodations, furniture and equipment.
• A12. Bring your Own laptop to office work.
• A13. English or Spanish spoken.
• A14. Application fee of 5 USD.
• A15. Minimum 1 month of work at the internship volunteering program.
• A16. Minimum 1 month of work at the online volunteering program.
• A17. Minimum 6 months of work at the free volunteering program.
• A18. Meet the visa requirements (tourism visa is good enough for volunteers that will stay between 3 and 6 months).
• A19. International Medical/life insurance that covers you on volunteering time.
• B1. Bring your own Professional camera or videocamera to field work.
• B2. Availability to learn/teach/train in specific activities.
• B3. Strong spoken/ written communication skills.
• B4. Knowledge of handle GPS, Professional cameras, Statistics, photo-identification, GIS software, among others.
• B5. Special/specific capabilities or background to support our work.
2.- Special/specific requirements for free volunteering programs
• C1. To meet general requirements for free volunteering program.
• C2. Minimum of six-month work at the free program or time agreement with special conditions agreed with institution.
• C3. Special capabilities /expertise required for foundation (fundraisers, community manager, management planning, project designer, video maker, youtuber, web/graphic designer, drone photographer, statistics specialist etc.).
• C4. For the free volunteering with special arrangements: the time and conditions will be agreed between the foundation and the volunteer.
• C5. Experience with methods and techniques of research on marine mammals.
• C6. Experience in administrative work, and social media & online business knowledge.
• C7. Previous volunteering experience with marine mammals.
• C8. Multipurpose or specific office/field work abilities.
• C9. A donation of 75 USD/EUR in cash or 300 USD/EUR in new equipment as minimum payable at the beginning of internship.
• C10. International Medical/life insurance that covers your volunteering time.
• C11. To meet specific Visa requirements: volunteering visa or temporal resident visa is required only after 6 months. If the volunteer will stay less than 6 months with the tourist visa it's enough. If necessary, FEMM Ecuador will give you a cover letter to help in the process.
We are an Ecuadorian private, non-government and non-profit organization, we have been working on research and conservation of Marine Mammals for 30 years with the support of volunteers and recently carrying out projects with marine-coastal protected areas to preserve them in a better way.