This opportunity is perfect for you if you enjoy spending time with animals and aim to have a positive impact on whatever community you are a part of. The refuge centre is in an informal settlement outside of Huanchaco and can accommodate up to 60 dogs. The owner and local volunteers are always in need of motivated assistance from genuinely interested volunteers with a passion for animal welfare as well as support from qualified veterinary staff.
20 hours of help per week
Animal Care: Help look after and take care of animals.
Social Work: Help with volunteer work in local projects and communities.
2 days off per week
Shared Dorm: You will have a bed in a shared room, which means you will share the same room with other travelers.
Team Dorm: You will have a bed in a shared room, which means you will share the same room with other people.
Free Tours: We’ll take you on tours and rides around town. For free!
Free Hiking Tours: We’ll take you on excursions and hikes around town. For free!
Free Parties: Get free entrance for the best parties in town.
Free Events: Get free entrance for the best events in town.
Pick Up: We will pick you up when you arrive, and take you to our property.
Language lessons: Take free language classes at our place.
Use our equipped kitchen: Feel free to use our kitchen and make your own delicious food.
Certificate: Get a certificate of completion after you finish your experience.
Intermediate English or Intermediate Spanish
Over 18 years old
Accepts solo applications and also couples and pairs
Flights, Travel Insurance, Internal Transportation and Visa
It should be noted that looking after the animals is physically and emotionally hard work and therefore not to everyone’s taste. However, if you have the passion to be involved in animal welfare in a hands-on capacity, then this may well be the role for you.
Please note that all volunteer positions are also available as Internships. With this add-on you will receive an extra level of mentorship and where necessary all appropriate liaison with your academic institution to ensure compliance with internship placement requirements. Please check out our website at www.otracosa.org for further in-depth information.
This role can be undertaken on a part time basis, alongside any of our other roles.
● Assisting with rescues of dogs, some of whom may be in distress.
● Undertake daily care activities of the dogs in the rescue centre, e.g. feeding and grooming.
● Daily cleaning of the centre is involved, it should be noted that this is hard physical work.
● Taking the dogs out for walks along the beach.
● Helping administer over the counter medicines, such as flea and worm treatments.
● Taking dogs to visit the vets and assisting in specialized care for injured or disabled dogs.
● Trying to find new homes for the dogs.
What you can expect from us:
● Personal pick-up upon arriving and walking tour through Huanchaco
● Thorough introduction to the organization
● Certified training in First Aid and Child Safeguarding
● 24/7 emergency support
● Organized activities & trips (barbeques, game nights, volunteer-lunch, team building trips) with like-minded people from all over the world
● Working in a friendly beach & surf town right next to many historical sites
● The satisfying feeling of committing your work to a good cause whilst gaining insight into a new culture
● Certificate of completion detailing your role, the project(s) you participated in and the dates you volunteered in