1. SOCIAL CONTEXT Ho Chi Minh City, despite being known as the most developed city in Vietnam, still lacks qualified English teachers, especially for Primary and Junior high schools. Some schools even assign teachers of other majors like Maths or Literature to teach English. Moreover, teaching method does not focus on communication but grammar rules and translation.
18 hours of help per week
Teaching Languages: Give language lessons to guests or local community.
2 days off per week
Private Room: Have a private room to chill and relax just by yourself.
Shared Dorm: Be ready to meet people while staying in a shared dorm.
Lunch: Free lunch is served y'all, get yours!
Dinner: Have your free dinner before going to bed.
Free Laundry: There's a special place where all the clothes get cleaned for free.
Free Tours: Don’t miss a thing! Get free tours and explore.
Bikes at your disposal: Hop on my bike, baby! Free to use bicycles.
Pick Up: No worries! Get a free ride to get to our place.
Language lessons: Learn or improve your language skills.
Certificate: Get a certificate of completion after you finish your experience.
Between 18 and 70 years old
Flights, Travel Insurance, Internal Transportation and Visa
However, the gap between the rich and the poor in Ho Chi Minh City has been proved increasing instantly. Moreover, the unemployment rate is also climbing. This means not all families can afford continuous extra English courses for their children.
2. PROGRAM MISSION
The English Teaching Volunteer program aims at:
- Provide disadvantaged students in Ho Chi Minh City with free- of- charge English lessons
- Create an environment where children can learn and speak English with international volunteers to improve their fluency
- Boost children’s confidence through activities and games, which are carefully designed by specialists and volunteers
- Bring both local children and international volunteers chance to exchange their cultures and enhance intercultural communication
- Benefit young volunteers, both Vietnamese and international, in terms of experiences and life skills
3. TIME AND PLACES
Available all year round
- Monday- Friday: 3 hours/ day
- Weekends: 5 hours/day
Places: local schools, churches and other children houses in some suburban districts, Ho Chi Minh City.
- First day: Volunteers are picked up at the airport and accompanied by a local coordinator to their hotel. There will be another briefing (online briefing is conducted before the trip) at the office of the organization.
- Week day:
For morning shift:
7.30: Breakfast at local restaurant
8.00: Travel to placement site by bus/ motorbike or taxi if necessary.
12.00: Lunch break at a nearby restaurant
For afternoon shift:
12.00: Lunch at a local restaurant
1.00: Travel to the placement site by bus/ motorbike or taxi if necessary
5.00: Work finishes
Volunteers can freely travel on their own around the city of nearby if they are off their duty.