We're currently bringing an abandoned >7000 sq ft nursing home built in 1925 back to life to turn it into a BIKE & BED lodge. To fund our project, we are hosting travellers and dogs in part of the space and for that we need help on cleaning and housekeeping. All positions
21 hours of help per week
Cleaning: Help clean the kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms and common areas.
Housekeeping: Exchange and wash bed linens. Make the beds.
Administration: Help with booking systems and payments.
Reception: Help with check-ins, check-outs and attend to guests.
1 day off per week
Shared Dorm: Be ready to meet people while staying in a shared dorm.
Team Dorm: You're part of a team! Get to know them in your dormitory.
Breakfast: Get your free breakfast, the most important meal of the day.
Lunch: Free lunch is served y'all, get yours!
Dinner: Have your free dinner before going to bed.
Cook your own meal: Feel free to prepare your own meal here
Free Laundry: There's a special place where all the clothes get cleaned for free.
Bikes at your disposal: Hop on my bike, baby! Free to use bicycles.
Language lessons: Learn or improve your language skills.
Over 21 years old
Be from outside United States
Flights, Travel Insurance, Internal Transportation and Visa
*️️️️️️️️️ Min Stay: 2 week
*️️️️️️️️️ Everyday but hours are flexible as long as rooms are ready (~ 1-3 hours)
LOCATION (15 minutes or less from most of Detroit's major attractions)
*️️️️️️️️️ 3.2km (2 miles) from Downtown Detroit
*️️️️️️️️️ 1.6km (1 mile) from Belle Isle (Detroit's famous & beautiful island park)
*️️️️️️️️️ Bikes are an important part of our regular transportation and as a volunteer you will have access to a bike during your stay so you can explore the city
*️️️️️️️️️ Single bed in shared room or private room depending on availability
*️️️️️️️️️ Groceries & basic food are included. Usually someone in the group volunteers to cook lunch/dinner for everyone so we can have a nice meal after our daily work. If there is something specific you'd like please mark the things you want on our white board in our kitchen.
Daily task will start with:
- Clean surfaces and floors of the general area, kitchen, bathroom
- Change and set up the beds after check out (check out time at noon; check in time at 3PM)
- Wash beddings, fold and put it back in place
After that, you can choose to help on:
- Community Work
All volunteers should:
- Help guests check-in when they arrive
- Post their fun moment during their stay on our facebook group
- Turn on/off the external light of the house depending on the time of the day
- Clean up after yourself
Spirit of the House:
- Mi casa es su casa: Treat our house like yours. Have a great time. Clean up after yourself. Leave the space better for the next traveller if you can.
- Keep Learning: We've all done things for the first time. Take the challenge and you will learn. When you face a challenge with your work, come to us with a suggestion instead of a question. Look around and if you see things could be done better? Change it.
- Work Hard Play Hard: How much you put into this experience will change how much you get out of the experience. Value your time and don't forget your initial goals of your stay.