india house international backpackers
India House is the original New Orleans Party Hostel. Our huge backyard, music stage and pool deck is the perfect hangout for travelers from all over the world to meet, share a meal and a beverage and enjoy everything from pool parties, live music events and general NOLA style debauchery!
With guests from all over the world, a quick stroll through the common areas will put you in contact with people from every continent and a myriad of languages and cultures, making India House a real European style travelers hostel.
Located in the Mid-City neighborhood, close to City Park with its festival grounds (site of Voodoo Fest every Halloween weekend), the FairGrounds (Site of New Orleans Jazzfest at the change of April/May) and Bayou St. John (site of Bayou Boogaloo every mid May) and just a quick Streetcar trip down to the French Quarter. The greatest party in the world, Mardi Gras, takes place every winter and one of it's top parades, Endymion, roll by India House on canal street, a literal stones throw from our doorsteps - You cannot get closer to the action!
Owners and managers at the India House have been around the place for years. As one of the original founders the current owner has seen this place through incredible changes and expansion from the early beginnings to today's legendary status as the original NOLA Party Hostel, even seeing the place stand strong and thrive through major disasters like Hurricane Katrina, and every Hurricane season before and after.
The staff is a rotating bunch of travelers coming though as guests and falling in love with the city, the House or someone else of importance to them, making it hard, if not impossible, to just ramble on without having really experienced what it means to be part of New Orleans. After a stint as a volunteer at India House you will know what Louis was singing about when you finally do move on!
With an on-site manager and a professional housekeeping team, the duties of volunteers staff revolve mostly around either reception work or maintenance/handyman tasks. Cleaning rooms, common areas and most laundry, except as needed, is not in the daily tasks of the volunteers. Taking guests out on nightly Pub Crawls, bringing them to events going on in town and generally helping make our hostel the most fun and exciting place they've ever been is however very much part of the volunteers work at the India House.
So, what's the deal?
- When you arrive we'll accommodate you in one of our dorms, as to not put you in a much more intimate setting with complete strangers who are already well settled, and vice versa, for the first few days/during training. For the reception position it typically takes 3-5 days to carry out the 3-4 training shifts we think are necessary to get the hang of the job.
In this training period we charge you half price of our cheapest dorms, typically around $10/night + tax, until we make space for you in our staff quarters with your new colleagues.
Congrats! You're now part of the team!
So now what?
- Our reception staff work 3 shifts per week. A shift is either 5 or 6 hours long and run Morning (8am-1pm); Afternoon (1pm-7pm); or evening (7pm-midnight). Some receptionists will do overnight shifts (midnight - 8am), in which case they'll only do 2 per week. On busy dates, like some weekends and festivals, we may set up a "Swing shift" with an additional receptionist working half of two shifts, for example from 10am-3pm or 3pm-9pm, as needed.
- In addition, all receptionists arrange a weekly guest activity, such as a Pub Crawl, Yoga class, movie night, game night, drinking games or bring people out to festivals and other events around town.
- We have a compulsory staff meeting that lasts about an hour every Wednesday.
- In addition we ask that when you are at the hostel, but not scheduled, you help your colleagues out as needed if something comes up, and in general remember that you do represent the India House when you are here, so follow our very laid back rules and regulations.
- We try to be flexible with scheduling to allow you the time to have a job on the side, and we have often been successful in providing our volunteers with contacts and references that landed them jobs in the neighborhood. We are happy to help!
Sounds like a good deal? Get in touch and come join the party!