We work with a pre-school located in an informal settlement near Huanchaco where the poverty rate is high and access to education is low. This school is the only social project in this community to aid the immigrants who moved to the coast full of hope, leaving behind their roots in the highlands to find a better future.
20 hours of help per week
Child Care: Help look after, educate and instruct children.
Social Work: Help with volunteer work in local projects and communities.
2 days off per week
Shared Dorm: You will have a bed in a shared room, which means you will share the same room with other travelers.
Team Dorm: You will have a bed in a shared room, which means you will share the same room with other people.
Free Tours: We’ll take you on tours and rides around town. For free!
Free Hiking Tours: We’ll take you on excursions and hikes around town. For free!
Free Parties: Get free entrance for the best parties in town.
Free Events: Get free entrance for the best events in town.
Pick Up: We will pick you up when you arrive, and take you to our property.
Language lessons: Take free language classes at our place.
Use our equipped kitchen: Feel free to use our kitchen and make your own delicious food.
Certificate: Get a certificate of completion after you finish your experience.
Intermediate Spanish or Intermediate English
Over 18 years old
Accepts solo applications and also couples and pairs
Flights, Travel Insurance, Internal Transportation and Visa
The school started as a cottage serving only 8 students but since its creation, the amount of students has increased and the classroom space has been expanded, together with the addition of bathrooms and playground facilities.
Please note that all volunteer positions are also available as Internships. With this add-on you will receive an extra level of mentorship and where necessary all appropriate liaison with your academic institution to ensure compliance with internship placement requirements. Please check out our website at www.otracosa.org for further in-depth information.
● Assisting the main pre-school teacher with all required tasks to ensure that the participants are making the relevant progress according to their age range.
● Managing the nursery room and supervising the children using the playground and outside areas.
● Organizing recreational and enrichment activities and games for the enjoyment of the children.
● Establishing rapport with the beneficiaries and taking on a mentorship capacity.
What you can expect from us:
● Personal pick-up upon arriving and walking tour through Huanchaco
● Thorough introduction to the organization
● Certified training in First Aid and Child Safeguarding
● 24/7 emergency support
● Organized activities & trips (barbeques, game nights, volunteer-lunch, team building trips) with like-minded people from all over the world
● Working in a friendly beach & surf town right next to many historical sites
● The satisfying feeling of committing your work to a good cause whilst gaining insight into a new culture
● Certificate of completion detailing your role, the project(s) you participated in and the dates you volunteered in