Help to develop the Small Scale Industries Programs
Volunteers will help to develop the Small Scale Industries Programs (mainly women and youth) either for all the steps (from beginning to end) or for some steps, depending on the duration of their stay and their skills.
Activities: training, teaching, making local organic products (shampoo, peanuts...), sewing...
Participants under 18 can be accepted if they are accompanied by their parents or the authorized guardian(s). Families are welcomed.
What you offer
5 hours of help per day
Help with volunteer work in local projects and communities.
Additional fee required
Fee pays for:
Benefits for travelers
Participants are expected to pay participation fees of $11/day.
It covers expanses for:
- Airport/seaport pickups and drop-off
- Accommodation (rent, water and electricity)
- Food (3 meals per day)
- General running cost of the projects
It does NOT cover:
- Medical/health services
- All types of insurances
- Relevant visas or permits
- Pocket money, free/leisure activities and other personal expenses.
What you get
2 days off per week
You will have a bed in a private room. In other words, a room just for you.
You will have a bed in a shared room, which means you will share the same room with other travelers.
You are entitled to a free breakfast, every day of your stay.
You are entitled to a free lunch, every day of your stay.
You are entitled to a free dinner, every day of your stay.
Discounts on Accommodation:
Get discounts for your stay in other hostels.
We will pick you up when you arrive, and take you to our property.
Take free dance classes at our place.
Take free language classes at our place.
Use our equipped kitchen:
Feel free to use our kitchen and make your own delicious food.
Get a certificate of completion after you finish your experience.
Intermediate English or Intermediate Swahili
Between 18 and 80 years old
Welcomes solo volunteers, couples, and partners of volunteers
What's not included
Flights, Travel Insurance, Internal Transportation and Visa
The volunteers will be involved in some of the activities below or all of them, depending on their skills and interests, the duration of their stay and their energy. This will be the topic of a further discussion.
The PDS team will be with them to supervise and make the exchange with the community easier.
They will help to develop the following Small Scale Industries programs:
- Tailoring & Dress Making
- Make-up and Henna Painting
- Cake Decoration
- Sanitary Pads
- Local products
- Language Classes
Volunteers are encouraged to bring information, equipment and materials from their home country. They can also participate in buying the necessary equipment and materials in Zanzibar to help the development of the small-scale industries. It’s an opportunity for them to visit local markets of Zanzibar and to be really involved in the small sustainable business.
Activities & Shift
- Share your knowledge to improve the different programs (make-up, henna painting, cake decoration, sanitary pads, tailoring and dress making, language classes) using local available resources.
- Teach practical skills to the community (sewing pampers, making cheese, making chocolate...)
- Join local community members in the production process of handmade and organic products (shampoo, soap, spice tea, peanuts…)
- Give trainings in marketing, microfinance, quality control.
- Give computer lessons and/or bring equipment to help the community to manage their small scale industries.
- Give Language Classes (English, French, Arabic...).
- Visits of the small business owners graduated from PDS and advise them on what they can improve. Volunteers can even work with them and help them to develop their businesses.
- Provide new ideas of small sustainable businesses.
- Wearing long and appropriate clothes in order to respect the culture and religion of Zanzibar : long pants at least up to the knees, T-shirt which covers shoulders and stomach.
- It is forbidden to sleep outside of PDS accomodation during the mission. The volunteers must come back to PDS House every day before midnight (including week-ends).
- It is forbidden to bring or drink alcohol within the PDS House and to drink alcohol in front of locals in PDS surroundings.
- Smoking at the designated location in PDS House or in isolated places.