6 types of volunteer work abroad that gives you free accommodation
Have you ever considered doing volunteer work abroad to make your vacation more affordable and unique? Meet 6 amazing types!
Volunteering is one of the best ways you can travel the world with just a little amount of money. It allows you to do something that is super fulfilling and purposeful, as you're giving back to people and promoting a strong community and a more sustainable future for smaller businesses.
What the world provides us with today is an array of volunteering opportunities across the globe, allowing people to travel and explore whilst giving back their time.
But first, what actually is volunteering, and what does it mean to volunteer abroad?
Volunteering is a collaborative tourism in which you exchange skills for accommodation and other advantages. This type of relationship is based on empathy and contributes to the development of others and our evolution as a whole.
When you set out to volunteer, you might have a goal in mind. Maybe your mission is to help the environment. Perhaps it's rescuing animals and changing their lives. It could even be a social work educating children to help give them a better future.
Whatever it is, it's a good idea to think of your reason why so that you can communicate this to potential hosts and show your willingness to help.
Overall, volunteering is a great way to gain experience in a particular field such as agriculture, sustainability, education, and much more.
Worldpackers offers a huge variety of different volunteering experiences and makes the whole process super easy, so you have less on your plate to worry about when planning your trip.
Sounds good? Let's look at some amazing volunteering positions you can apply for right now.
1. Volunteer works abroad on farms
Do you love being in nature, digging up the ground, and reaping what you sow? How about working on a live farm and learning all about how they're run with these great volunteer positions:
- Harvest fruits on this beautiful Brazilian farm in Urubici. Help with crops, look after animals, and learn all about agriculture and sustainability. In return you will get a place to sleep, free meals, laundry, tours, and the hosts will even pick you upon arrival (saving you some money!). You will also get the chance to connect with locals which is a great way to learn more about the countries' culture and possibly even practice the language if you wish!
- Get down'n'dirty and immerse yourself in the nature of this Irish farm in Portaferry. Described as an unforgettable experience by previous travelers, this volunteering work will have you looking after animals, building, and learning all about permaculture. Speaking of, you can take their permaculture course for free too! Also, they provide bikes so you can cycle about exploring the wonders of Ireland.
2. Take care of animals and get free accommodation
Are you a lover of our furry friends and want to help give them a better life? Well, you can! Help rescue animals and care for them so they feel loved, nurtured, and safe. Check out these amazing volunteer positions where you can change their lives for the better:
- Help spread the word of this animal sanctuary in Mexico by creating content and showing your love for the animals. You'll make a real social impact and in return, be able to take a permaculture course for free, as well as receive other free amenities. Doing digital work like this is great as you will come home with a portfolio to add to your CV, meaning you may be able to find similar work in the future more easily!
- Care for rescued animals at this amazing riverside natural community in Arambol, India. You'll get to experience being a part of a nurturing community and look after the animals and maintain the grounds, whilst living in the huts by the river (how cool!). This type of experience is super fulfilling and will feel like you have a new family, which honestly, cannot be beaten. Why not give it a go?
3. Volunteer at an ECO village while traveling
Are you a lover of the outdoors and want to connect more with nature? Eco villages are a great way to learn more about sustainability and how you can live a more eco-friendly life. Here are some amazing opportunities to get involved:
- Be a part of a diverse and super friendly community and help with construction, farming, and woodwork at this eco-village in Sammatz, Germany. You'll have the chance to get to know plenty of international travellers whilst learning how to be more eco-friendly and what it means to be a part of such a tight-knit community.
- Help to build gardens on this beautiful jungle island property in Costa Del Sol, El Salvador. Get away from the digital world and enter nature's paradise as you help this wonderful community build and grow. During your stay, you also get the chance to surf, swim, hike and of course, connect with locals and get to know the culture.
4. Social volunteer works abroad with children
Children are our future hope, and so we must make sure they are well taken care of. If you're a natural at caring for kids, then this type of work is perfect for you. Take a look at these impactful opportunities:
- Teach English to children in Hanoi, Vietnam. Whether you have teaching experience or not, you can help teach English to kids and help change the lives of those less fortunate, and help them become more skilled and confident. This same place also offers a position of day-care assistance to disabled children (this may require a little more experience, so be sure to ask).
- Help run an art workshop for children and young people at this farm in Albán, Colombia. Show off your digital skills and help teach children about being creative as you immerse yourself in the wonderful nature of Colombia. During your stay, you may also be required to help with agricultural farming and taking care of the animals. A truly life-changing experience!
5. Free travel and accommodation at Holistic Centres
Holistic medicine and practices have been around for years but have recently become more popular. Learn about spirituality and connect with nature and find your inner being at one of these centres:
- Join the community at the Moon Farm in Exloërveen, Netherlands. Help with gardening and repairs and be inspired by the wonderful community and positive energy. In return for your work, you will receive free delicious meals, events, laundry, and best of all, yoga classes. A great experience for those who want to spend their time feeling fulfilled, peaceful and let their worries melt away.
- Help out in the kitchen at this wonderful holistic centre in the Province of Novara, Italy. Surrounded by nature and breath-taking views, this place is a true gem. As well as your free amenities such as meals etc, this centre offers your free yoga classes, language lessons, and holistic therapies so you can learn and gain so many new skills and experience in return for your work.
6. Volunteer works abroad with NGOs
NGOs (Non-Governmental Organisations) are so important for improving the lives of others and making the world a better place. Why not volunteer and see what difference you can make:
- Help out at the Uwezo Women's Program in Mwanza, Tanzania. This program gives women the chance to improve their socio-economic status as well as reclaim their own time and learn how to live a better, safer life that will provide them with more opportunity. You could help make a difference in their lives whilst exploring Tanzania and seeing what it has to offer!
- Help to educate those from less fortunate backgrounds at this amazing NGO in Nairobi, Kenya. Take part in a life-changing project and help to improve the lives of others whilst learning all about the culture and environment.
So, here are just a few incredible volunteer work abroad programs with free accommodation opportunities across the globe but there's a lot more than that. Whatever country you want to visit and whatever kind of work you want to do, there's bound to be an opportunity out there for you.
Why not take a look for yourself on the Worldpackers volunteer opportunities page and find what suits you? Use the filters to help narrow down the best choices for you. Have fun and see what's out there!
New to volunteering? Check out this blog on Top reasons why volunteering is important for personal development.